Through readings of select plays, she explores the politics of Euripides' radical aesthetics, showing how formal innovation generates political passions with real-world consequences.
Probabilities, Hypotheticals, and Counterfactuals in Ancient Greek Thought (2014, Hardcover)
Euripides' plays have long perplexed readers. With their disjointed plots, comic touches, and frequent happy endings, they seem to stretch the boundaries of tragedy. But the plays' formal traits—from their exorbitantly beautiful lyrics to their arousal and resolution of suspense—shape the audience's political sensibilities and ideological attachments. Engendering civic passions, the plays enact as well as express political ideas. Wohl draws out the political implications of Euripidean aesthetics by exploring such topics as narrative and ideological desire, the politics of pathos, realism and its utopian possibilities, the logic of political allegory, and tragedy's relation to its historical moment.
Breaking through the impasse between formalist and historicist interpretations of Greek tragedy, Euripides and the Politics of Form demonstrates that aesthetic structure and political meaning are mutually implicated—and that to read the plays poetically is necessarily to read them politically.
Subscribe to RSS
Victoria Wohl is professor of classics at the University of Toronto. Many of our ebooks are available through library electronic resources including these platforms:. Home Euripides and the Politics of Form.
- Prof. Ryan Balot.
- Facing the Holocaust in Budapest: The International Committee of the Red Cross and the Jews in Hungary, 1943–1945.
- Cell Membrane Transport: Principles and Techniques.
- Probabilities Hypotheticals And Counterfactuals In Ancient Greek Thought Hardcover?
- Customer Reviews.
Add to Cart. More about this book. Magazine , April Verity Platt Professor.
Overview I specialize in Greek and Roman art history, and have a particular interest in the relationship between ancient literary and visual cultures, especially in the Hellenistic and Roman periods. In progress.
Gaifman and K. Lorenz, Bloomsbury. Gaifman and M.
- Tricks Of The Windows Game Programming Gurus - Fundamentals Of 2D And 3D Game Programming.
- Reimagining Black Difference and Politics in Brazil: From Racial Democracy to Multiculturalism.
- College of Arts and Science.
- Probabilities, Hypotheticals, and Counterfactuals in Ancient Greek Thought.
- Life Insurance Mathematics;
- Subscriber Login.
Squire, issue Squire, Cambridge. Squire Vol. Michelakis ed.
Balot, Ryan | Topoi
Anguissola and A. Brepols series on "Art and Materiality. Wharton ed. Bloomsbury, forthcoming. Heuer and R.
Zorach, Yale University Press, Gaifman , Weinryb ed. Goldschmidt and B.
- Double affine Hecke algebra.
- Account Options?
- Probabilities, Hypotheticals, and Counterfactuals in Ancient Greek Thought - Google книги;
- James Allen!
- Origins of Objectivity.
Graziosi eds. Oxford University Press, , Brouillet and C.
Carastro, , Dietrich and M. Squire eds.
De Gruyter, , Platt and M. Cambridge University Press , co-authored with M.